Frequently Asked Questions2024-07-11T10:53:30-04:00


Does ConfiDentist offer consulting services for basic information about equivalency process and gathering documents?2022-03-02T23:48:44-05:00


At Confidentist we offer 1-hour consulting sessions which can be purchased separately.
For anyone registered in our AFK Live course we offer one-hour complementary consulting session.
If you decide to register for course after you purchase the consulting session , the fee you paid will be deducted from your course tuition.

Can I register for Mock exams without registering for a course?2022-03-02T23:48:24-05:00

You can register for any of the Mock exams separately whether you are registered in courses or not.

How different are Pre-recorded courses from Live courses?2022-03-02T23:48:07-05:00

With Pre recorded courses you will have access to the recordings of previous classes. The advantage is that you can watch them at anytime during the day based on your daily schedule.

Pre- recorded lectures and material are always one year behind Live lectures and material.

Also, pre recorded courses do not include mock exams.

Can ITDs participate in AFK and ACJ mock exams from outside Canada?2022-03-02T23:47:36-05:00

The mock exams are available only to those who are inside Canada.

Can ITDs attend ConfiDentist courses from outside Canada?2022-03-02T23:46:14-05:00

Since our AFK and ACJ courses are online, you can join from any where in the world.
BUT for participating in the mock exam’s candidates must be inside Canada.

Does ConfiDentist offer online courses?2022-03-02T23:45:57-05:00


All AFK and ACJ courses and mock exams at ConfiDentist are online.
BUT, OSCE mock exam and discussion are in person.

NDECC training lab is in Toronto and the classes are in person.

Does confidentist offer preparatory courses for all of the steps to NDEB equivalency process and Certification?2022-03-02T23:45:14-05:00

At confidentist we offer different course options for each NDEB exam (AFK – ACJ – NDECC). You can choose the option that suits you best.
we also offer 2 OSCE mock exam/discussion sessions for certification process.

Does ConfiDentist offer ADAT preparation course?2022-03-02T23:44:54-05:00
What is ADAT?2022-03-02T23:43:52-05:00

The Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT) is used by 400+ advanced dental education programs to assess applicants’ potential for success. The test takes 4.5 hours to complete and is offered at test centers throughout the U.S. and Canada.

Link to ADAT webinar

How can ITDs apply to university degree qualifying programs?2022-03-02T23:42:21-05:00

For all universities which offer this program EXCEPT University of Toronto & University of McGill, ITDs must take AFK and then apply to the 2–3-year DDS advanced placement programs based on each university Calendar.

For UofT & McGill university on the other hand AFK has been remove from the admission requirements and replaced by another examination called ADAT (Advanced Dental Admission Test).
After successfully finishing ADAT candidates can apply to these 2 dental schools for degree qualifying programs.

Each university has its own different required document list, application date and deadline, calendar and English proficiency score requirement.

You can learn more about each university requirements for admission via the links below:

University of Toronto
McGill University
University of Alberta
University of Manitoba
University of Saskatchewan
University of Western Ontario (Schulich)
University of Dalhousie

Link to webinar about getting admissions to dental schools in Canada

What kind of visa do ITDs need to be able to apply to university degree qualifying programs?2022-03-02T23:39:32-05:00

To be eligible to apply for degree qualifying programs at any university you have to be a permanent resident or citizen of Canada.

What kind of Visa do ITDs need to take the NDEB direct licensing examinations?2022-03-02T23:39:15-05:00

To pass NDEB direct licensing exams you don’t need to be resident or citizen of Canada, you can take part in all equivalency exams as well as Certification process with any kind of Visa.

Can I apply for provincial licensure and start practicing dentistry right after finishing al 3 equivalency exams or Degree qualifying program?2022-03-02T23:38:26-05:00

NO!! either you choose to go through direct licensing or university pathway, after successfully finishing them, you have to apply for certification. To become certified all dentists should successfully pass the final board exam which consists of Written examination & OSCE.
After successfully completing board exams you can apply for provincial licensure.

Can ITDs take NDEB exams from outside Canada?2022-03-02T23:37:47-05:00

AFK and ACJ exam are held in select locations internationally, find out more here.

NDECC will be administered only in NDEB skills center Ottawa, ON, Canada.

How many times can I take each NDEB exam?2022-03-02T23:36:03-05:00

AFK, ACJ, Written exam and OSCE can be taken for a maximum of 3 times.
NDECC can be taken for an unlimited number of times in a 60-month period after passing ACJ.

How often do the NDEB examinations take place?2022-03-02T23:35:45-05:00

AFK, ACJ, Written examination and OSCE are conducted 2 times a year.
NDECC on the other hand is planned to take place multiple times a week starting Summer 2022.

Find out more about dates and locations of NDEB exams.

What is NDECC?2022-03-02T23:34:44-05:00

NDECC (national dental examination of clinical competence), is the last of 3 NDEB equivalency examinations.
This exam is held over 2 days and consists of 2 parts:

1-Clinical skills:

– Crown preparation
– Class 2 amalgam preparation
– Class 2 amalgam restoration
– Class 2 composite restoration
– Class 4 composite restoration
– Provisional crown restoration
– Endodontic access preparation

2-Situational judgment:

This component assesses candidates on 10 situational judgement scenarios dealing with competency in Patient-Centered Care, Professionalism, Communication and Collaboration, Practice and Information Management and Health Promotion.

– We are still waiting for the protocol and candidate guide to be released by the NDEB. find out more here.

What is ACJ?2022-03-02T23:33:47-05:00

ACJ (assessment of clinical judgement) is the second of 3 NDEB equivalency examinations. This exam consists of 120-150 clinical based questions, including patients’ charts, X-rays, photographs and …

There are 2 types of questions seen in ACJ. Some ask for only ONE correct answer while the rest ask for ONE OR MORE correct options.
For the latter some of the wrong options have negative point which clear all the right answers and that’s what makes this exam a bit trickier than the other two.

ACJ exam is conducted twice a year every May and November and can be taken for a maximum of three times.

What is AFK?2022-03-02T23:33:30-05:00

AFK (Assessment of fundamental knowledge) is the first of the 3 NDEB equivalency examinations. This exam consists of 200 multiple choice single answer questions held in 4.5-hour sessions 2 times a year. (February and August). The questions in AFK are from all aspects of dentistry.
To pass this exam your rescaled score must be 75% or more.
Each individual can take AFK for a maximum of 3 times.

How can international dentists obtain NDEB Certification?2022-03-02T23:33:00-05:00

There are 2 pathways for ITDs to become NDEB certified in Canada:

1- NDEB direct licensing
2- University degree qualifying programs (this pathway is available only to PRs and Citizens of Canada)

For the direct licensing pathway, ITDs must pass 3 different exams:

– AFK (Assessment of Fundamental Knowledge)
– ACJ (Assessment of Clinical Judgment)
– NDECC (National Dental Examination of Clinical Competence)

For the university pathway, the steps depend on the university you want to apply to.

How can international dentists obtain their license to practice In Canada?2022-03-02T23:31:36-05:00

To practice dentistry in Canada, dentists must obtain a provincial license to practice from dental regulatory authorities. To achieve this license, they have to be Certified by NDEB (national dental examining board of Canada) AND they have to be legally allowed to work in Canada by Government of Canada. (Different provinces might require additional documents)

Go to Top